Saturday 24 July 2010

Woof!



I always find it hard to design cakes for men.  It's easy making a cake for a woman, you can decorate it with flowers and pretty colours and besides, being a woman myself it's easier for me.
When I was asked to design this Father's Day cake I was stumped.  "What does your father like?" I asked "Golden Retrievers" she said.  Of course, at that point I wished I'd never asked and just made an arbitrary decision to make yet another 'golf cake'.
I set too with a lump of white modelling chocolate to make a golden retriever, it took me a while and wasn't really much like a dog from that (or any) breed...but it was quite obviously a dog and a very hairy one at that!  Once he had his top coat on and his little red collar, he was set to go on top of the cake.
I made a red dog collar and tag to go around the base of the cake to keep within the while 'doggy theme'.  I think it worked quite well in the end.